For guidance and support on insurance cover/payments during COVID-19, click here to read our FAQs

Van and Truck Insurance FAQs

How to I report an accident or claim?

You need to report this to your insurer as soon as possible in order to comply with the conditions of your policy.

Click here for details of which number to call.

Can I view my policy wording online?

Yes you can. Click here to view our policy documents page.


My van windscreen is broken, what do I do?


Contact your insurer’s windscreen claims helpline to report it and they will arrange to either repair or replace it. You can find the claims telephone numbers by clicking here.

If your windscreen is replaced you will need to pay the policy excess of £75.00. No excess is payable if your windscreen is repaired. 

Do I get a courtesy van if I have an accident or my van is stolen or damaged by fire?


If your van is insured with RSA, subject to availability, you could be provided with a replacement van for up to 48 hours following an accident, fire or theft.

If you have been involved in a non-fault accident and included the optional Lawshield Legal Expenses cover, depending on the accident circumstances, you may be eligible for a replacement hire vehicle subject to availability. This would be unavailable if your van has been stolen or damaged by fire, unless you have upgraded the Lawshield Legal Expenses cover to include the Vehicle Hire option.

Van policies issued by Tradewise do not currently include a courtesy van.

I’ve had an accident that was not my fault. Why do I still have to pay the policy excess?

The policyholder is responsible for paying the policy excess regardless of who caused the accident.

Once you have paid the policy excess and following the repairs to your vehicle, you may be able to claim this back from the person responsible for the accident.

If you have included the optional Lawshield Legal Expenses cover they will deal with claiming for reimbursement of your policy excess on your behalf and can also claim for other uninsured losses that are not covered by your Van insurance such as personal injury, loss of earnings and out of pocket expenses.

Am I covered to use my van abroad?

For any trip that you take within the EU you will automatically be covered for Third Party Only.

You can increase the level of cover but will need to contact us in advance of your journey as cover cannot be increased if you have already left the UK when you contact us.

When you contact us, we will need to know the dates of your trip and the countries you are travelling to. This will be subject to an additional premium.

Please note that cover can only be extended for the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

My insurance is due for renewal. Will you automatically renew it?

We do not automatically renew policies. You will receive a renewal notice at least 14 days before the cover expires which will give you instructions on how you can renew the cover for a further year.

I want to insure a van but I don’t own it, can I insure it with you?

Unfortunately we can only insure vehicles that are owned by and registered to you or your Company.

I have sold my van and bought a car, can I swap the vehicle over on my policy?

We cannot cover a car under a van policy so we will need to cancel this policy and then arrange a new quote for the car. In these circumstances we would waive our cancellation charge. 

I have points on my licence; do I need to tell you?


You need to tell us about any motoring convictions you may have, including any endorsements, points, fines and driving bans. If you fail to do so, the policy may be invalid and part or all of a claim might not be paid. This also applies to any other drivers covered under the policy. 

I have made an insurance claim in the past; do I need to tell you?


You need to tell us about any previous accidents or insurance claims, regardless of whose fault they were or which vehicle you were driving at the time. If you fail to do so, your insurance may be invalid and part or all of a claim might not be paid. This also applies to any other drivers covered under the policy. 

I am borrowing a friend’s van; can I insure it with you?


Unfortunately we can only insure vehicles that are owned by and registered to you or your Company. You will therefore need to be added to your friend’s insurance policy. 

Am I covered to tow a trailer or caravan?


You will be insured to tow a trailer or caravan for Third Party Only cover.

If you use a trailer when attending markets, events, exhibitions and festivals we can arrange a Stock policy which will cover your trailer and its contents for accidental damage, theft and fire.

Please note that caravans cannot be covered under a Stock policy. 

I want temporary insurance cover on an additional vehicle; can I add it to my policy with you?


Yes, we can arrange temporary cover for you as long as it is a van and you are the owner as well as the registered keeper of the vehicle. This will be subject to payment of an additional premium.

This can work out to be quite expensive so if you are planning to keep the additional vehicle for some time taking out a separate van policy may be more suitable. 

Am I insured to drive someone else’s vehicle?


There is no cover to drive another vehicle under a van policy. 

Does my Van insurance cover my Stock and Trading Equipment while I am transporting it?


This is excluded from cover but we can arrange this under a Stock policy.


As with all insurance policies, terms, conditions and exclusions apply – see policy documents for full details.

Please note that we are closed on Sundays
Please note that we are closed on Saturdays
Apologies! We are having problems with our phone lines. If you can’t get through please email and we will call you back!