For guidance and support on insurance cover/payments during COVID-19, click here to read our FAQs

Household Insurance FAQs

How to I report a claim?

You need to report this to your insurer as soon as possible in order to comply with the conditions of your policy.

Click here for details of which number to call.

Can I view my policy wording online?


Yes you can. Click here to view our policy documents page.

Is Household insurance compulsory?

It is not compulsory by law although your mortgage company will probably require you to insure the buildings as a condition of the mortgage.

What does Household Buildings policy cover?

It covers the structure of your home (the walls, floors, windows, doors and roof), permanent fixtures and fittings (for example sinks, toilets and baths), as well as garages and domestic outbuildings.

How much should I insure my Buildings for?

You should insure the cost of rebuilding your home as new which is different to the market value and an approximate cost can be found using an online rebuild calculator. If you really aren’t sure, you should consider paying for a professional survey.

What does Household Contents policy cover?

It covers most items within the home that are not permanent fixtures and fittings, for example: furniture, household goods, personal belongings and valuables.

How much should I insure my contents for?

You should consider insuring contents for the cost of replacing as new.

One easy way to do this is to list the contents of each room. Don’t forget to include any items in your garden, shed or garage if you have one. Then total up the cost of replacing everything new and this will provide you with the sum insured.

What does “new-for-old” mean and does your policy cover this?

Should you need to make a claim for loss or damage to your contents, the insurer will replace the items with new ones or equivalent.

There are certain exceptions to this, such as clothing and household linens (bedding and towels) and a deduction would be made for wear and tear so check your policy documents carefully.

What are “valuable” items?

A valuable item is any item that could be considered attractive to burglars or would be expensive to replace if it was lost, stolen or damaged.

Examples can include precious metals/stones, jewellery, watches, works of art, stamp/coin/ medal collections and home entertainment equipment such as TVs and electronic gadgets.

What is meant by Personal Belongings under Home Contents cover?

An item that you would take away from home with you, for example clothing, handbags, mobile phones and other electronic gadgets.

There is an overall limit of cover and also an individual item limit but if you want to extend the standard limit for a particular item (like a watch) this can be covered separately by paying an additional premium.

Is food in the freezer covered?

Insurers will reimburse you for the cost of any spoilt food in your freezer in the event of a power cut or freezer breakdown, taking into consideration the policy excess.

Is my stock covered when I store it at home?

No, Stock and Business Equipment is not covered under the RSA Household policy. However we can cover this under our Stock policy. Please call us on 0207 618 2929 for a quote and for more information.

My insurance is due for renewal. Will you automatically renew it?

We do not automatically renew policies. You will receive a renewal notice at least 14 days before the cover expires which will give you instructions on how you can renew the cover for a further year.

What is a Policy Excess?

A policy excess is the amount you have to pay if you make a claim under the policy. It forms part of the terms and conditions of the quote so choosing a higher excess may lower your premium.

Different excesses may apply depending on the type of claim so check your policy documents carefully.

As with all insurance policies, terms, conditions and exclusions apply – see policy documents for full details.

Please note that we are closed on Sundays
Please note that we are closed on Saturdays
Apologies! We are having problems with our phone lines. If you can’t get through please email and we will call you back!